If you’ve followed me for a while, or have had a little nose around my blog, you’ll have seen that I teach crochet as well as make and design things.
I actually own and run a bespoke craft cabin in my back garden, where I’m lucky enough to be able to do what I absolutely love doing – sharing the love of crochet. The look on someones face when they “get it” is amazing.
Over the past 6 weeks, I’ve run the most amazing class, making wreaths (which I’ll share later on), but for now I wanted to share the bag I gave the attendees at the end of the workshops to take their wreaths home in.
I usually give out paper bags, stamped with my logo, but:
1. There weren’t any bags big enough to house these amazing wreaths safely.
2. The weather at the moment is a little dicey and I didn’t want their creations getting wet.
Another plan was needed.
I’d looked online, and I could get some hessian Jute bags printed with my logo, perfect size, but they weren’t going to be here in time.
So I thought something a little more personal was needed.
Ebay was a great help for some Jute bags.
Just what I needed
Then I let my creative juices get going.
I needed 6 bags (plus one for me!), so after raiding my wool stash, I knew exactly what I was making.
My logo, crocheted of course!
I used the inside of my Granny bunting pattern, only 2 rounds, and made 35 little flags.
I never learn, and saved all the sewing until the end, but phew – all sewn in and perfect for a little photo.
Pattern USA Terms
Stylecraft yarn, 4mm hook.
Round 1: Ch4, ss to join a ring. Ch3, 2DC in the ring. Chain 2, 3dc, ch3, 2dc, ch 2, ss to the top of the ch3.
Round 2: SS over to the chain 2 gap. Ch3, 2dc, ch 2, 3dc in the same gap. Ch1, 3dc, ch2, 3dc in the next gap. Ch1, 3dc, ch2, 3dc in the next gap, ch1, ss to top of the ch3, fasten off, weave in ends. Block to shape.
But look at how curly they all are – they needed help.
I lined them up, 2 or 3 flags per set of pins, sprayed them with water, and left them to dry overnight.
Then to add the bunting tape. Using a dark grey, and lining them up in reserve order (a right handed crocheter here).
I joined them together. I started with chain 3, slip stitched across the top of the stitches of each flag, then added a chain 2 in between each set of flags, and finished with a chain 3 to keep it even. I kept the ends long to make sure I had enough for sewing.
My original plan was to glue gun the bunting in place, but I wanted something I knew was going to last.
So sewing it was. Using the grey ends from the bunting tape, I sewed using running stitch across the top, then tied the ends together.
The flags were sewn in place, again with running stitch, but using white cotton thread that you can hardly see at all.
I made another 6 bags like this.
2 hours crocheting, 1.5 hours sewing, and I seven bespoke jute bags which I’m hoping the ladies love!
Update – they loved them!!!!! A sneaky peak of a couple of wreaths going home with them.