It seems all I’ve been doing lately is playing with lovely mercerised cotton – specifically the Yarnart Begona – which I have to say is amazing to work with!
After that hat, and then the other hat, I decided to play with the brim yet again. In the original wonderful pictures of the hats, and everything that goes with them in Russian, the more open weave hats have a different more open weave brim….. which stands up nicely. So I watched a Youtube video in Russian, and thought – hey I can do that…… So this is my attempt (There is also a free version of the hat pattern by a different designer on Ravelry – called a Summer Cloche by Luba Davies – who has written it up in a much nicer form than I have)!
I can say it’s been a bit of an up and down experience. I thought I had it sussed – with the help of this………… but it wasn’t meant to be!
So the start of the hat – its found here in the diagram form
So – sat in a soft play centre on Mothers day, crochet hook (2.5mm), yarn, scissors and marker – I started…
DC into the ring, chain 1. repeat this until you have 12 DC ( 11 plus the chain 4).
From this point on – everything is worked in a V-Stitch.
V-Stitch (VS) = DC, CH1, DC. (First V stitch of the round is chain4, DC)
Round 2: 1 V-Stitch in each gap then SS into the CH3. = 12 VS
Round 3: 2 VS in each VS
Round 4: 2VS in 1st VS, 1 VS in next (then 2VS, 1 VS in next)
Round 5: 2VS in 1st VS, 1 VS in next 2 VS all the way round
Round 5: 2VS in 1st VS, 1 VS in next 3VS all the way round
2 VS in 1st stitch, 1 VS in the next(increase the numbers) , etc etc – until you get to the correct diameter for a hat, then just stop increasing and work down to the desired length.
This one I stopped here – 13cm – it fits my 4 year old (who’s tiny).
One more round took me to 16cm – which fits me as an adult when stretched, but loosely on my daughter!
Then it just gets longer and longer….
As a speed gauge – I managed this in about 1.5 hours, minus trips up and down in the soft plat for food, drinks etc.
When I got to the length I needed – it was time for the brim (this time done in the local hospital with my daughter!)
Brim row 1 – 1 SC in every stitch (so 3 per V stitch).
Brim row 2 (on my hat in pink), 1 SC in each stitch
Brim row 3- 2SC in first stitch, then 1 SC in next 2 stitches and repeat (just realised my photo shows one in each stitch on this row – but I unpicked this)
Row 4 – Chain 4, skip a stitch, DC in the next stitch, *CH1, skips stitch DC in next stitch* all the way round. (This then gives you the holes to do the V Stitches)
I continued this until I had 5 rows of V stitches.
(This is the bit of the pattern that didn’t work…………. but I thought I’d show my disasters with you)
So in the Russian video they use strengthening wire – or in my case – Strimmer cord………
So the last row of the pattern now will read:
Change to pink again – and SC all the way round!
Hope you’ve enjoyed my hat journeys, more to follow soon.